shabu shabu my way
- Clay or stainless steel pot with a 2 to 3 in. lip.
- Campfire stove so you can cook at the table.
- 5 in strip of kombu(found in asian markets).
- 4 heads of baby bok choy.
- 2 packs of Enoki mushrooms.
- i pack of firm tofu.
- Thinly sliced sirloin(amount depends on how much beef you want to eat).
- 4 individual packs of udon noodles(cook briefly in boiling water and strain).
- 4 c of shrimp(amount can also vary).
- Mung beans, sliced jalapeños, and cilantro(garnish for udon).
- Rinse all the vegetables and cut bok choy into strips. Snip ends of Enoki mushrooms.
- Slice tofu into bite sized cubes.
- Place strained vegetables and tofu onto a big plate.
- Place thinly sliced meat onto another plate. Do the same for shrimp.
- Fill pot 2/3 full with water and add 5 in strip of kombu. At the table, bring water to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes. Remove kombu.
- Cook meat, seafood, tofu and vegetables a small amount at a time. Place in individual bowls.
- Top with soy-lemon sauce or crushing it sesame sauce.
- At the end, place cooked udon into each bowl and pour hot broth over it.
- Garnish with mung beans, sliced jalapeños, and cilantro. Add more sauce over it.